Cap of Maintenance
by Johannes the Black of the Athanor, OL
TO MAKE A CAP OF MAINTENANCE:
1) Measure the circumference of the head, making sure that the tape passes
above the eyebrows and just above the base of the ears.
2) Enlarge the template until the A measurement is equal to the circumference
of the head.
3) Cut two of these; one for the exterior and one for the lining; glove
leather or very heavy upholstery velvet is recommended for the former; fur or
satin for the latter. Remember that the lining will be all that shows of the
4) Place the two cut pieces good side to good side; sew around the edges,
taking a one-quarter inch seam allowance. Remember to leave a small area open in
order to turn the cap right-side-out.
5) Turn the cap right-side-out, finishing the seam by hand.
6) Fold the cap until the two dotted sides ( ... ) overlap, and sew these
together by hand carefully, so that the lining is not visible.
7) Fold brim upwards along the 'fold brim line', so that cap looks like the
sketch in the upper right part of this page.
8) Tippets may be decorated with tassels or bells, etc. Also, they may be sewn together during Step 6, making a single large tippet in back.